Be Part of a Pivotal Moment in History
The American Civil Liberties Union of Missouri Foundation (ACLU-MO) seeks a passionate, dedicated, and creative lawyer with two or more years of civil litigation or clerking experience to join its small litigation team in a full-time Staff Attorney position.
Founded in 1920, the ACLU-MO is one of Missouri’s premier public advocacy organizations. The ACLU-MO has offices in St. Louis and Kansas City and a presence in Southeast Missouri and is committed to defending and expanding constitutional rights and civil liberties throughout Missouri. We defend and expand the individual rights guaranteed to all Missourians under the United States and Missouri Constitutions through an integrated advocacy approach, using strategic litigation, campaign and legislative advocacy, community engagement, and communication tools on a broad range of issues. We are in the midst of planned growth and increasing prominence in policy issues, including racial equity, education equity, voting rights, threats to reproductive rights, LGBTQ+ equality, free speech, equitable policing, reducing mass incarceration and protecting privacy in the digital age. The ACLU-MO is an IRS 501(c)(3) organization and works closely with the ACLU of Missouri, a 501(c)(4) organization.
To learn more about our work as an affiliate and nationally, visit www.aclu-mo.org and www.aclu.org.
Under the leadership of the Deputy Director for Litigation, the Staff Attorney will further the ACLU-MO’s strategic litigation program. Duties will include legal research and writing as well as developing and litigating a variety of impact civil liberties cases at the trial and appellate level in state and federal courts. The Staff Attorney will support integrated advocacy work that combines litigation, legislative and ballot initiatives, earned media, and public engagement on ACLU-MO priority campaigns.
- Work on all stages of litigation, including research, discovery, drafting memoranda and briefs, motion practice, and court appearances throughout the state of Missouri.
- Identify constitutional rights and civil liberties issues subject to legal challenge and identify and work with potential plaintiffs and witnesses.
- Identify areas of interest and cases for and draft amicus briefs.
- Work with outside attorneys, including attorneys from other organizations and volunteer cooperating counsel.
- Work with, coordinate, and assign tasks to law clerks.
- Work closely with the Intake Complaint Unit.
- Serve as a resource for ACLU-MO policy and campaigns work, including by advancing priority campaign goals through community engagement, communication, and other advocacy tactics.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- J.D. required.
- Admission to Missouri Bar, or admission to another Bar with ability to obtain admission to the Missouri Bar by waiver or Bar examination within six months.
- Demonstrated commitment to constitutional, civil rights, and the ACLU’s mission.
- Substantive knowledge and understanding of constitutional law and civil liberties issues.
- Minimum two years’ experience as an attorney, with a preference for experience that includes legal research and writing.
- Demonstrated skill at working both independently and collaboratively, as well as under time-pressure.
- Excellent research, writing, and analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to engage in complex legal analysis and fact investigation in context of impact litigation.
- Self-motivated, able to work beyond a typical 9-to-5 schedule when needed, and willingness to travel within the state.
- Ability to meet deadlines while working on multiple projects.
- A commitment to diversity as well as a personal approach that values the individual and respects differences of race, ethnicity and national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, religion, ability, and socioeconomic circumstance.
Must be fully vaccinated and boosted against COVID-19 as recommended by the CDC and must stay current with protections against COVID-19 as recommended by the CDC. Proof of current vaccination status upon hire required.
This job announcement provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment, and the description and/or posting may be changed at any time without advance notice.
Compensation and Terms:
ACLU-MO offers a generous benefits package, which includes paid vacation and holidays; medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance; and employer contributions to a 401(K)-retirement plan. This is a full-time, exempt position under the Fair Labor Standards Act. Employees in this job classification are represented by the United Media Guild-CWA (UMG). The salary for this position, $67,465.00, is established by the collective bargaining agreement.
- A copy of your resume that lists relevant experience.
- Three professional References.
- A cover letter describing your qualifications and interest in the role with the ACLU of Missouri as well as answering the following question:
- How would you apply diversity and inclusion principles in your work as an ACLU-MO staff attorney?
- Two legal writing samples.
Application materials should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “Staff Attorney” in the subject line of your email. Please, no phone calls.
Application materials will be reviewed as received and will be accepted until the position is filled. The position will be filled no earlier than June 9, 2023.
ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.
The ACLU undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to ensure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions. We encourage applicants with disabilities who may need accommodations in the application process to notify us at: email@example.com or 314-652-3114.