The Missouri Democratic Party (MDP) seeks a Managing Communications Director to lead the daily operations, rapid response efforts, internal communications, press events, long-term communications projects, statewide marketing, and digital advertising and communications for the State Party. The Managing Communications Director reports to the Executive Director and is a confidential management position. As Managing Communications Director, you will work closely with national, state, and local media, allies, and other stakeholders to develop and lead the execution of a comprehensive and ambitious communications plan, including both earned and paid media, to win Missouri elections, advance our goals in legislative fights and prepare Democrats for success in key races of 2024. As a member of the senior staff team, you will work closely with the Chair and Executive Director to advance MDP’s strategic goals in the press while working with members of the State Committee, MDP Communications Committee and others.
Salary ranges from $67,000 to $75,000 based on experience, including fully paid for medical, dental, vision, short term disability, 401K, life insurance as well as travel, cell phone, and accrued paid vacation.
- Effectively publicize the goals, platform, activities and accomplishments of the State Party with stakeholders, donors, key constituency groups, and the news media through traditional, social, and digital media marketing;
- Assisting with the continued creation and execution of an aggressive statewide surrogate communications (Speaker’s Bureau) plan;
- Maintaining and updating media lists;
- Working with local democratic staff to help spread a coordinated message statewide;
- Monitoring local and national press for relevant stories and developments;
- Prepare and disseminate communications tools such as press releases, op-eds, public statements, talking points, presentations, media advisories, briefings, pitch ideas, videos, email blasts, newsletters, social media, and graphics;
- Manage and produce email and social media calendar, direct list-building initiatives, create content and own updating the website, and manage multiple social media platforms;
- Prepare and execute short and long-term communications plans;
- Provide media training for county party representatives;
- Travel frequently to build relationships with key media contacts
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum 2 years experience in news media;
- Growth mindset – ability to take and implement feedback;
- Relentlessly goal oriented – enjoys working toward and achieving ambitious goals;
- Cultural competency – able to build relationships and collaborate with colleagues, voters, and volunteers across lines of identify difference;
- Keeps calm in stressful situations – has the capacity and willingness to work long hours during peak season, rolling up their sleeves and getting the work done
- Demonstrably excellent verbal and written communication skills, in particular the distillation of complex issues into publicly digestible bites which spurs people to action.
- Demonstrated ability to craft communications strategy to advance an organization or candidate’s objectives
- Experience hiring and managing a team of communications professionals to successfully hit ambitious strategic messaging goals
- Sharp, strategic instincts, meaning you’re fast on your feet and able to make confident strategic choices with minimal oversight
- Previous experience interacting with members of the media
- Must have a car, be licensed, have valid registration and insurance for travel through the state.
- Prefer Kansas City area based, but open to other areas of the state.
Please send a resume, cover letter, and 3 references to the MDP Executive Director at email@example.com with the subject line “Communications Director.” Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled, with priority for applications received by December 4, 2023. No cold calls please.
The Missouri Democratic Party is committed to diversity among its staff, and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. The MDP is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis.