A Democratic State Senate office is looking for a dynamic, self-starter with a passion for public service to join the office as a Legislative Assistant (LA).
The LA is responsible for the office’s scheduling, constituent services, administrative duties, social media, newsletter, and supporting the Chief of Staff (CoS) in legislative tasks.
Email & Scheduling
- Manage and organize the senator’s inbox
- Provide correspondence with constituents, organizations, stakeholders, etc.
- Manage the senator’s calendar
- Coordinate with other parties on events, prep information, and logistics
- Assists constituents access state services
- Coordinates with other department liaisons and staff; takes constituent’s opinions about issues; coordinates with other senate or house offices on constituent matters
- Shares a weekly status report on constituent outreach with the Senator and CoS
- Manages the Twitter account for the office account
- Creates social media and email marketing graphics (using Canva, Adobe)
- Writes the newsletter, which covers the major happenings of session and need to know information for constituents
- Assists in preparing materials for committee meetings, hearings, and floor debate for the senator
The office seeks a candidate with exemplary professionalism, attention to detail, great communication and writing skills.
The LA is expected to be in the office Mon-Fri. 8-5 p.m., with options for remote work when not in session.
Given the flexible schedule, this position can be a good opportunity for those seeking to gain legislative experience while working part-time on advocacy or campaigns outside of working hours.