Be Part of a Pivotal Moment in History
Founded in 1920, the ACLU-MO is one of Missouri’s premier public advocacy organizations. The ACLU-MO is committed to defending and expanding the constitutional rights and civil liberties guaranteed to all Missourians under the United States and Missouri Constitutions through an integrated advocacy approach, using strategic litigation, campaign and legislative advocacy, community engagement, and communications programs on a broad range of civil liberties issues. We are amid planned growth and increasing prominence in policy issues including racial equity, education equity, voting rights, equitable policing, reducing mass incarceration, threats to reproductive rights, prosecutorial accountability, LGBT equality, free speech, and protecting privacy in the digital age. The ACLU-MO is an IRS 501(c)(3) organization and works closely with its sister 501(c)(4) organization.
In this role you will report directly to the Deputy Director for Communications. The Graphic Designer produces high-quality graphics for print materials, social media, other digital distribution channels, and the ACLU-MO’s website. In addition, the Graphic Designer is responsible for ongoing creation of graphic assets, photo editing, and graphic production assistance for larger projects. They are experienced in creating designs in adherence to visual branding identity and continuing to innovate and push the design experience at the ACLU-MO.
- Develop familiarity with the ACLU brand.
- Design and produce graphics for use on ACLU-MO websites, social media channels and emails in keeping with graphic design standards, project objectives, and branding guidelines.
- Create reusable graphics templates; modify and resize existing graphics for various platforms and uses; format materials based on specifications.
- Design and layout online and print publications, including reports, white papers, and pamphlets; create data visualization graphics for reports, such as tables, charts, etc.
- Create promotional materials for online and print ads.
- Produce layouts and designs for website special features.
- Create and produce other graphics as needed, including presentations, internal communications templates, text cards for videos, infographics, and more.
- Retouch documentary, portrait, and marketing photographs.
- Work with vendors and consultants such as designers, copyeditors, and printers.
- Identify and work with vendors to secure estimates for print materials and other projects.
- Prep and package designs for print materials.
- Manage digital asset libraries.
- Perform photo research from archives, publicly available image libraries, and stock agencies; recommend and purchase stock images as needed; track image rights usage.
- Collaborate with staff across the ACLU-MO on graphic design needs.
- Assist with other communications assignments as needed.
In addition to the above responsibilities, other duties as assigned.
- Relevant background by education, experience, or both.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign, and Canva.
- Experience creating graphics for digital and print media.
- Experience with publication design and layout for digital and print.
- Understanding of trends and best practices for using graphics to communicate effectively via digital channels.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Strong time management skills, with an ability to work effectively to prioritize multiple activities and responsibilities and ability to deliver work products under deadlines and commitment to high quality standards.
- Passion for graphic design, color management, and typography.
- Ability to create custom illustrations using Adobe programs.
- Willingness and ability to occasionally work outside of regular business hours and to travel within Missouri.
- Personal approach that values the individual and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, religion, ability, and socio- economic circumstances
- Commitment to the ACLU-MO mission, vision, values, and programs.
Must be fully vaccinated and boosted against COVID-19 as recommended by the CDC and must stay current with protections against COVID-19 recommended by the CDC. Proof of current vaccination status upon hire.
This job announcement provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment, and the description and/or posting may be changed at any time without advance notice.
Compensation and Benefits:
ACLU-MO offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience, within the parameters of a Missouri-based non-profit including paid vacation and holidays; medical, dental and vision insurance; life and disability insurance; and 401(K) retirement plan with employer contributions, and employer match of optional employee contributions. This position is exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act and is a full-time with a base salary range $45,000 to $50,000.
- A copy of your resume that lists relevant experience.
- A cover letter describing your qualifications, interest in the role with the ACLU of Missouri and answering the following question:
- How would inclusivity in design be beneficial generally and for our organization?
- Digital portfolio or a link to an online portfolio
to: email@example.com. Please indicate “Graphic Designer” in the subject line of your email. Please, no phone calls.
Application materials will be reviewed as received and will be accepted until the position is filled. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply by December 14, 2022.
ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.
The ACLU undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to ensure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions. We encourage applicants with disabilities who may need accommodations in the application process to contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.