Progress MO and its sister organization, Progress MO Education Fund is searching for a dynamic, determined, and strategic leader to serve as the Executive Director and build out the leading progressive communications hub in Missouri. This is a full-time position with benefits based in Missouri.
Progress Missouri is a multi-issue progressive advocacy organization that combines cutting edge online organizing and communications with rapid and hard-hitting earned media strategies. Our mission is to provide a strong, credible voice in advancing progressive solutions to critical community problems, driving mission-critical communications for the progressive movement.
The Executive Director will be responsible for leading, building, growing, and managing a team that can:
- Develop and implement a statewide, race-forward public communications program, in partnership with organizing groups, progressive organizations, and elected officials and aligned with progressive movement outcomes
- Develop strategic communications narratives about targeted campaigns; work with partners to inject narrative into earned and social media
- Identify opportunities for and execute public accountability campaigns highlighting the bad behavior of regressive actors
- Track and anticipate political activity and assess opportunities to advance communications outcomes
- Provide research, earned media leadership, content generation, and social media leadership to aligned organizations across the state
In addition to supporting these roles and responsibilities, the Executive Director will:
- Manage a board of directors that supports the mission through strategic input and fundraising
- Expand the budget beyond core funding to as much as $1-2M/year
- Recruit and manage staff and vendors
Applicants for this position should bring the following experience, knowledge, abilities, and attitude:
- Strong track record executing or managing and growing staff
- Experience with earned media programs; direct on-the-record experience a plus
- Self starter who is a quick thinker and decisive
- Strategic thinker who can contextualize key moments into a broader narrative, and advance long term goals
- Collaborative experience, including demonstrated ability to connect with individuals and build alliances among a wide range of players in the state
- Cultural competence and a strong track record of bringing allies across diverse communities to work together
- Experience planning and implementing communications strategy, including mastery of different communication channels and when to use each for maximum effectiveness
- Can make a case for the work to funders and other stakeholders
- Experience supervising, mentoring, developing and/or coaching staff or volunteers
- Can live anywhere in Missouri, but willingness to travel in-state a must
We especially encourage applications from people who bring some of these additional skills or experiences:
- Legislative experience
- Public speaking skills
- Prior knowledge of, experience in Missouri politics
- Prior knowledge of, experience in grassroots organizing
- Training experience
- Fundraising and development experience
Reports to: Board of Directors
Based in: Missouri
Start date: As soon as possible
Travel: Some in-state travel will be required; national travel may be necessary
Salary: $110,000+, depending on experience
Benefits: Medical & dental insurance; paid time off
policy that includes holidays, annual leave, family leave, and sick leave.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume and name/contact information for two references to firstname.lastname@example.org. E-mails should reference “Application:Executive Director” in the subject line.
This position is open until filled. Priority will go to applications received by December 15.
About Progress Missouri
Progress MO is a multi-issue advocacy organization driving a transformational narrative strategy to win major progressive victories. We combine cutting edge online organizing and communications with rapid and hard-hitting earned media strategies. Our mission is to provide a strong, credible voice in advancing progressive solutions to critical community problems. But we don’t do that on our own – we work as a communications team for the progressive community.
Progress Missouri believes that a diverse, inclusive staff is a fundamental strength. We’re committed to hiring people of all races, ethnicities, religions, ages, sex, genders, sexual orientations, and gender identities. Black people, Indigenous people, people of color, women, LGBTQ individuals, and members of other marginalized groups are strongly encouraged to apply.