ArchCity Defenders (ACD) is a holistic legal advocacy organization that combats the criminalization of poverty and state violence, especially in communities of color. ACD’s foundation of civil and criminal legal representation, social services, impact litigation, policy and media advocacy, and community collaboration achieves and inspires justice and equitable outcomes for people throughout the St. Louis region and beyond.
ACD envisions a society liberated from systems of oppression where the promise of justice and racial equity is realized; communities where our approach to public safety prioritizes investment in well-being, health, and transformation without relying on criminalization and incarceration; and people living freely in their communities, thriving regardless of their race or income. As part of this vision, we are expanding our Social Work team to assist individuals and families in housing crisis and who are experiencing homelessness.
ACD seeks a dynamic, creative, committed individual with a strong commitment to social justice to join our dynamic and diverse staff of attorneys, paralegals, social workers, community organizers, and media and communication advocates who collaborate to provide holistic advocacy to address the causes and consequences of poverty and involvement with the legal system.
We seek a thoughtful, proactive, and highly organized Executive Assistant to provide overall support for the Executive Director, the priorities of the Executive Director and the organization, and the activities of the Board of Directors.
o Prior experience in an administrative or project coordination role required.
o Proficiency with office productivity tools and an aptitude for learning new software and systems.
o Ability to maintain confidentiality of information related to the company and its employees.
o Experience in developing internal processes and filing systems.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Facilitate communication among the staff by scheduling regular meetings, and support the Executive Director (ED) in ensuring the work of ACD is coordinated across teams.
● Maintain central calendar of meetings and events.
● Maintain and update the ED’s calendar and contacts and track and respond to communications (telephone calls, mail, and email) to the ED. This includes internal meetings, staff check-ins, and communications.
● Arrange ED travel, conferences, events, and conference calls.
● Assist the ED in determining and sorting priorities; assist in meeting the organization’s goals.
● Support ED in fundraising work, including – as needed by development team – events, major donor programs, communications, and new member/donor cultivation.
● Support ED in gift recording and donor contact records as needed; track all donors for whom ED is “Relationship Manager.”
● Vet speaking and media requests as needed, gather information, liaise with media/event contacts, and provide ED bio and information.
● Communicate with other primary reports to ED: Operations Manager, Communications Director, Development Director, Director of Partnerships, and Deputy Executive Director.
● Attend, provide support for, create agendas for, and take notes in meetings, as needed.
● Occasionally complete intakes for legal assistance requests as needed by ED.
● Draft, edit, and produce correspondence, memos, and reports for the ED.
● Handle research, writing, and organizational projects as needed.
● Support the substantive work of the ED as needed.
● Support, promote, and participate in ACD’s public outreach and volunteer activities.
● Support, promote, and participate in community outreach with the client community, state and local social service providers, and other community groups.
● Embrace and support ACD’s overall mission, standards, policies and procedures, and confidentiality guidelines as well as adhere to the legal professional responsibilities that underpin the organization.
● Support the substantive work of the ED as needed.
● Perform other duties and projects as required by ED.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
● Strong interpersonal skills: able to work well with a wide range of people.
● Ability to work collaboratively as well as independently.
● Attention to detail and superior proofreading skills are a must.
● The ability to develop and implement effective organizational systems.
● Demonstrate dependability through good attendance and adherence to timelines and schedules.
● A confident and professional work style, problem solving skills, and the exercise of good judgment.
● Ability to set priorities and meet deadlines on concurrent projects in a fast-paced environment.
● Understanding of the practices and policies that help maintain a high-performing, employee-friendly office environment.
● Computer and financial management skills including database usage and internet research.
● Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Teams, and OneDrive. Familiarity with financial software a plus.
● Able and willing to continue professional development.
● Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information pertaining to the organization, its finances, and its staff and board.
● Knowledge of the St. Louis region is a plus.
This is a full-time position with benefits, including health/dental/vision coverage, 401(k) with partial match, YMCA membership, work cell phone, parental and sick leave, subsidized parking, paid professional development opportunities, and 26 days of PTO plus holidays. The salary for this position is $45,000. (Deviation from this salary possible only in the case of significant prior Executive Assistant experience.)
ArchCity Defenders is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from
people of color, persons with disabilities, women, LGBTQIA+, and gender non-conforming applicants.
We are still accepting applications for all positions, and they will be considered on a rolling basis.
Submit a resume, cover letter, and writing sample as one PDF to Ericka Thomas, Operations Manager, via the following link: https://www.archcitydefenders.org/get-involved/employment/