The Missouri Democratic Party (MDP) seeks a full-time Data Manager to handle the day-to-day data needs of the state party, county/local organizations, state and federal campaigns, and activists. The position will work across departments, with the DNC, and with the MDP’s strategic partners to use data in support of successful campaigns. This position will report to the MDP Executive Director.
- Provide data and technological guidance to the state and local party organizations, campaigns, activists, and stakeholders, particularly acting as frontline support for troubleshooting VAN (Votebuilder) requests, user creation, training, and ensuring adherence to data standards
- Manage and administer voter file updates, VAN/Votebuilder upkeep, data acquisition, and other technologies utilized in conjunction with the voter file and VAN
- Oversee and manage MDP’s additional databases and data collection processes, such as NGP and Google Suite, to ensure data is consistent and clean across CRMs
- Provide extensive training to help fellow staff members, candidates and campaigns utilize data, technology, and VAN. You should expect to spend ~75% of your time during peak campaign season on campaign support, training, and troubleshooting
- Collaborate with the House and Senate caucuses, coordinated campaign stakeholders, and allied organizations on 2024 programs as well as long-term planning, analysis, and organizing to build a statewide governing majority
- Contribute to planning and orderly execution of Missouri’s first presidential caucus in 28 years
The following encompasses many of the skills and experiences we consider useful for the Data Manager role, but we encourage you to apply even if you do not meet all of the qualifications.
You’ll be a good fit if you have:
- Experience with VAN/Votebuilder, ideally as a committee or statewide administrator
- A team player mindset, willingness to step in and help coworkers, and openness to feedback
- Exemplary customer service skills, comfort learning new systems and training end users, and a willingness to pick up the phone or do a quick screen share with users when needed
It would be helpful to have:
- Proficiency in SQL (Structured Query Language)
- Advanced Excel/Google Sheets skills
- Experience with NGP
- Experience writing about technical subjects for audiences without technical expertise
- Experience administering voter contact tools such as dialers (ThruTalk, Scale to Win, etc.), peer-to-peer text tools (ThruText, Spoke, Scale to Win, etc.), and MiniVAN
- Comfort working with messy and often incomplete datasets
- Must have a car, be licensed, have valid registration and insurance for travel through the state.
Standout candidates may have
- Familiarity with the DNC tech portfolio and/or progressive tech ecosystem
- Familiarity with Google Cloud services, particularly BigQuery and Looker Studio
- Coursework, training, or experience in statistics, political science, or social science research
- Proficiency using open-source programming languages for data cleaning (R, Python, Julia, or similar) and analysis (R, Python, Julia, or similar)
- Comfort creating visuals using open-source tools (ggplot2, Matplotlib, etc.) or Looker Studio
- Prior experience with: field organizing, a coordinated campaign role, and/or a party committee
- Familiarity with Missouri’s political landscape
- Location: Kansas City preferred, but flexible within the state of Missouri
- Start date: Beginning of 2024
- Compensation: Per the party’s collective bargaining agreement, the salary floor for this position is set at $72,100 per year with annual cost-of-living adjustments.
- Benefits: Employees receive: medical, dental, vision, short-term disability, 401K, and life insurance; 15 days per year of paid time off and 4 days per year of comp time; holidays including the week from Christmas to New Year’s; phone reimbursement; and reimbursement for reproductive health services unavailable in an employee’s primary living location
- Hours: Employees should expect to work 40-45 hours per week during off-peak periods, but be prepared for longer and less regular hours in advance of major elections
- Union Membership: This position is included in our Campaign Workers Guild bargaining unit.
Please send a resume, cover letter, and 3 references to the MDP Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Data Manager.” Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled, with priority for applications received by November 30th. No cold calls please.
The MDP is committed to diversity among its staff, and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. The MDP is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis.