Action St. Louis is a grassroots organization that envisions a community liberated from oppression – in all its forms- where Black people can live freely and fully. Our work focuses on making that vision a reality. We work to build the power necessary to set agendas, change policies and ensure that institutions are accountable to the communities they serve.
In a few short years, our team has grown from no paid staff to ten full-time employees and a permanent paid canvassing team. We manage a robust action and activism agenda in the St. Louis region that includes year-round community and grassroots organizing, civic engagement education, get-out-the-vote (GOTV) efforts, and policy and advocacy work on a range of issues that affect Black communities. and educating thousands of voters on policies that expand access to health care and other resources for Black people
We are now seeking an organizer to build on our success in the community and position us for future success through expanding our outreach, education, and training. The organizer will work to achieve short-term and long-term community engagement goals in alignment with the mission and vision of Action St. Louis. The Organizer will also work with the community and local/statewide coalitions.
- Engage and organize residents around various issues including expanding democracy, housing justice, abolition, and more. Organizing residents includes door-to-door canvassing, phone banking, one-to-one conversations, and community meetings;
- Coordinate campaign-specific base-building activities which may include encouraging participation in actions and events;
- Daily and systematic follow-up with volunteer prospects to build teams and move them to action on ongoing campaigns;
- Lead various trainings on a regular basis including organizational orientation, strategy and leadership skills, and tactics to train leaders and volunteers in tools and tactics for engaging their communities on issues;
- Work on turnout related to organization events including phone and text banking
- Conducting 1:1s with community members and organizational partners;
- Research innovative ways to move the community and campaigns forward;
- Gather data from residents, input that data, and ensure it is in a centralized place easily accessible to the campaign;
- Promote organizational goals and values in various external activities;
- Participate in membership meetings, staff meetings, coalitions, and community building events;
- Prepare quarterly and weekly work plans to present at quarter work plan meetings and weekly staff meetings;
- Participate in planned individual and staff evaluation;
- Participate in fundraising activities as necessary, such as site visits, documenting program accomplishments, and supporting fundraising;
- Work with fellow staff members to execute strategy.
Who are we looking for?
- A person committed to Action’s mission and vision for the St. Louis region;
- A person committed to building power by developing relationships and moving people to action
- A person who is organized and can set up easily accessible systems to help keep others in the organization on task and up-to-date; and
- A person who is open to learning and working in close coordination with members of a growing team.
What experience would we like you to have?
- A person who is knowledgeable and has an understanding of organizing and advocacy;
- Experience and comfort working with marginalized communities
- Comfort working in an office environment (however casual), staying organized and managing a personal and organizational schedule.
- Project and people management skills, such as adhering to timelines, holding colleagues accountable, and teamwork.
What can you expect from us?
- A fast-paced environment, a nimble team, and a group of people dedicated to being responsive to the needs of Black communities in our region.
- A committed, hands-on leader who will provide coaching and support and also entrust you with important work and give you the autonomy to solve problems as they arise.
- A base salary of $40,000 (negotiable with experience) with room for growth, and a competitive benefits package including 100% paid health, vision, dental insurance, and a generous paid time off policy.
Please send your resume, cover letter, and names and telephone numbers of three references to email@example.com
Action St. Louis is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons impacted by injustice, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQIA individuals.