Be Part of a Pivotal Moment in History
The American Civil Liberties Union of Missouri, Foundation Inc., “ACLU-MO” seeks a full-time Administrative Assistant to the Chief Financial and Operations Officer (CFOO), based out of the St. Louis Office, to support and ensure efficient day-to-day office operations by performing administrative and skilled tasks.
Founded in 1920, the ACLU-MO is one of Missouri’s premier public advocacy organizations. The ACLU-MO, headquartered in St. Louis, is committed to defending and expanding the constitutional rights and civil liberties guaranteed to all Missourians under the United States and Missouri Constitutions through an integrated advocacy approach, using strategic litigation, campaign and legislative advocacy, community engagement, and communications programs on a broad range of issues. We are in the midst of planned growth and increasing prominence in policy issues including racial equity, education equity, voting rights, equitable policing, reducing mass incarceration, threats to reproductive rights, prosecutorial accountability, LGBT equality, free speech, and protecting privacy in the digital age. The ACLU-MO is an IRS 501(c)(3) organization and works closely with its sister 501(c)(4) organization.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Answer and transfer phone calls, screening when necessary.
- Perform various clerical tasks including sorting, opening, and delivering incoming mail to the appropriate department or individual.
- Welcome and direct visitors and clients.
- Maintain filing systems and archiving procedures and ensure compliance with records retention and confidentiality guidelines.
- Retrieve information as requested from records, email, minutes, and other related documents; prepares written summaries of data when needed.
- Format information and documents, including memos, presentations, reports.
- Respond to and resolve administrative inquiries and questions.
- Manage calendars and set up meetings and appointments, including coordinating schedules and making travel and accommodation arrangements.
- Prepare and distribute agendas, schedules, and related materials.
- Take and distribute minutes or other records for meetings.
- Maintain office supplies and coordinate maintenance of office equipment.
- Ensure a tidy, organized, and cohesive work environment for the office’s staff and volunteers.
- Facilitate communication among the staff by maintaining office calendars.
- Assist with procurement, maintenance, and supplies for the communications systems, including phones, copiers, printers, and postage machines.
- Perform basic bookkeeping.
- Maintain and file confidential records, such as employee records, contract negotiations, and any notes and data related to those files.
- Assist with confidential reports such as statistical and financial reports for distribution by the CFOO or Executive Director, (ED).
- Assist the CFOO with recruitment, hiring, onboarding, and offboarding tasks as needed.
- Maintain contact information and signed confidentiality agreements for all staff, volunteers, and interns.
- Provide administrative support to the ED and Board, as needed.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the CFOO.
In office work required. Employees work with one another, with ACLU volunteers and with the general public. To protect and reduce risk of infection for employees and everyone with whom employees work, all employees must be fully vaccinated and boosted against COVID-19, as recommended by the CDC, and must stay current with protections against COVID-19 as recommended by the CDC and provide the ACLU with satisfactory proof of current vaccination status, unless exempt because of legitimate religious or health reasons. Based on public health recommendations for COVID or other future public health threats, the ACLU may require employees to take appropriate health and safety measures such as testing and wearing face masks or other personal protective equipment (PPE) when performing ACLU work with other persons. Proof of current vaccination status will be requested upon hire.
This job announcement provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment, and the description and/or posting may be changed at any time without advance notice.
- Two years of experience in clerical, secretarial, or office management required.
- Experience working for senior leadership and with a Board of Directors.
- Experience and ability maintaining discretion and exercising confidentiality with sensitive information.
- Proficient computer skills including Microsoft Office and video conferencing.
- Understanding of clerical procedures and systems such as recordkeeping and filing.
- High-level attention to detail.
- Flexible and adaptable in various situations and when interacting with many different personalities.
- Working knowledge of general office equipment i.e., copiers, printers, phone systems.
- Ability to think proactively, anticipate problems, develop creative and effective solutions, and take the initiative to facilitate smooth operations for all staff confidently.
- Ability to communicate quickly and effectively, verbally and in writing.
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and complete tasks under strict deadlines.
- Ability to jump in and help on any project and learn new things quickly.
- Knowledge of, or ability to quickly acquire familiarity with the basic roles and functions of a finance, HR, and operations department.
- Ability to regularly and quickly jump from task to task, prioritize and stay organized.
- Ability to travel locally for an occasional errand.
- Willingness and availability to work occasional evenings and weekends with advance notice, during times of office events, meetings, or busy seasons.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
- A copy of your resume that lists relevant experience.
- A cover letter describing 1) your qualifications 2) why you are interested in this role and our
to: email@example.com. Please indicate “Administrative Assistant” in the subject line of your email. Please, no phone calls.
Application materials will be reviewed as received and will be accepted until the position is filled. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply by 5:00 p.m. Central Daylight Time on Tuesday, October 11, 2022.
ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.
The ACLU undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to ensure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions. We encourage applicants with disabilities who may need accommodations in the application process to contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.