ArchCity Defenders (ACD) is a holistic legal advocacy organization that combats the criminalization of poverty and state violence, especially in communities of color. ACD’s foundation of civil and criminal legal representation, social services, impact litigation, policy and media advocacy, and community collaboration achieves and inspires justice and equitable outcomes for people throughout the St. Louis region and beyond.
ACD envisions a society liberated from systems of oppression where the promise of justice and racial equity is realized; communities where our approach to public safety prioritizes investment in well-being, health, and transformation without relying on criminalization and incarceration; and people living freely in their communities, thriving regardless of their race or income.
ACD seeks a dynamic, creative, committed individual with a strong commitment to social justice to join our dynamic and diverse staff of attorneys, paralegals, social workers, community organizers, and media and communication advocates who collaborate to provide holistic advocacy to address the causes and consequences of poverty and involvement with the legal system.
ACD is looking for a thoughtful, dedicated, and skilled Paralegal to join our team to provide daily case management, facilitate case correspondence, assist with research, discovery, and investigations, and maintain strong client relationships.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
● Experience as legal support staff, proven track record of excellence, relevant training, and qualifications.
● Knowledge of and experience with relevant software applications – spreadsheets, word processing, presentations, legal databases, information management, and electronic discovery.
● Knowledge of legal procedures, legal terminology, and municipal, state, and federal filing rules and procedures.
● Proficient in spelling, punctuation, grammar, and other English language skills.
● Knowledge of legal administrative and clerical procedures.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Daily case management, including opening, closing, and maintaining files.
● Prepare and manage correspondence, standard legal documents, intakes, assessments, case notes, grant-specific documentation, and evaluation metrics.
● Organize and coordinate legal meetings including client interviews, hearings, and depositions.
● Maintain attorney schedules and calendars, including deadlines.
● Provide litigation support via discovery review, court filings, exhibits and witness preparation, create and organize trial materials, and attend court proceedings as needed.
● Handle incoming mail and calls.
● Assist with the collection of relevant records and documents.
● Conduct research and collate information relevant to cases.
● Complete and ensure completion of all documentation including timekeeping, intake, case notes, grant-specific documentation, and evaluation metrics for clients.
● Comply with all applicable regulations, policies, and grant requirements.
● Embrace and support ACD’s overall mission, standards, policies and procedures, and confidentiality guidelines as well as adhere to the legal professional responsibilities that underpin the organization.
● Perform other duties and projects as required by management.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills with attention to detail.
● Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills: able to work well with a wide range of people and cognizant of how identity dynamics inform and shape interactions with clients, partners, and colleagues.
● Willingness to engage in critical reflection and engage in a team dynamic of feedback and learning.
● Ability to work collaboratively as well as independently.
● Strong organizational and time management skills.
● Able to handle competing deadlines in a fast-paced environment
● Demonstrate dependability through good attendance and adherence to timelines and schedules.
● Good problem-solving skills.
● Demonstrate resourcefulness and ability to take initiative in development and completion of projects.
● Able and willing to continue professional development.
● Knowledge of the St. Louis region is a plus.
This is a full-time position with benefits, including health/dental/vision coverage, 401(k) with partial match, YMCA membership, work cell phone, parental and sick leave, subsidized parking, paid Bar dues, paid continuing legal education opportunities, and 26 days of PTO plus holidays. The salary range for this position is $45,000-$55,000, depending upon years of practice experience.
ArchCity Defenders is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from
people of color, persons with disabilities, women, LGBTQIA+, and gender non-conforming applicants.
We are still accepting applications for all positions, and they will be considered on a rolling basis.
Submit a resume, cover letter, and writing sample as one PDF to Ericka Thomas, Operations Manager, via the following link: https://www.archcitydefenders.org/get-involved/employment/