Action St. Louis is a grassroots racial justice organization that seeks to build political power for Black communities in the St. Louis region. Action St. Louis builds campaigns that leverage organizing, communications, advocacy, and direct action to mitigate harm against our community while fighting for long-term transformation.
We are celebrating six years of action and activism in the St. Louis region that has resulted in transformative shifts in the political landscape. To achieve our goals we manage a robust portfolio of support from foundations, individual donors, and events.
To anchor this work, Action St. Louis is adding a Development and Communications Manager to coordinate and manage fundraising and communications. The Development and Communications Manager will manage a small communications team and work closely with the Executive Director to express the mission, vision, and work of Action St. Louis to a variety of stakeholders including donors, the media, and members of the community.
Manage Fundraising and Donor Development (50%)
- Work closely with the Executive Director to develop fundraising strategies for Action St. Louis and Action St. Louis Power Project.
- Identify grant opportunities that align with Action St. Louis’ goals, projects, and budget needs.
- Ensure grant applications and reporting requirements are submitted by established deadlines, monitor decisions and track funding dispersals.
- Develop and maintain record-keeping systems, including a donor database and annual fundraising calendar.
- Provide monthly reports on the results of grant solicitations, major gifts, and small donor activities.
- Provide strategy and logistical support for fundraising events.
Lead Communications Strategy for Action St. Louis (25%)
- In collaboration with the leadership and communications teams, create strategic communications plans – including the development of key messages and plans for increasing Action St. Louis’ reach on social media, the media, and in the community
- Lead the preparation of talking points and spokesperson training
- Assist in writing, editing, and proofing a variety of print and digital communications including annual reports, social media posts, website content, press releases and media alerts, op-eds, newsletters, and electoral materials.
Staff Management (25%)
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the 2-3 full-time staff on the communications and development team – including regular staff check-ins, workplan reviews, and other supervisory tasks
- Manage relationships with and communication and development consultants to ensure execution of goals and product delivery.
- Collaborate with team on strategy, manage team priorities, track and oversee team goals across projects, and support in staff professional development.
- Work closely with Action St. Louis leadership team to plan and implement staff policies, performance reviews, and yearly/quarterly/monthly goal setting and reports.
Who are we looking for?
- A person committed to Action’s mission and vision for the St. Louis region;
- A person who is detail-oriented, organized, and an independent worker;
- A person who has a track record of successfully raising funds for nonprofit organizations
- A person who is open to learning and working in close coordination with members of a growing team.
What experience would we like you to have?
- Experience creating and executing fundraising and communications campaigns, including setting goals, planning, executing, and analyzing & reporting results
- Experience building and maintaining relationships with key donors and funders
- Experience in goal-oriented workplaces where you have been required to prioritize tasks, meet strict deadlines, and maintain a busy schedule.
What can you expect from us?
- A fast-paced environment, an agile team, and a group of people dedicated to being responsive to the needs of black communities in our region.
- A committed, hands-on leader who will entrust you with important work and give you the autonomy to solve problems as they arise.
- The opportunity to grow in this position
- A salary range of $65,000- $75,000 and a competitive benefits package that includes health insurance for employees (100% of premium) and dependents (75%), collective rest days, and generous paid time off and leave policies.
Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com to apply.
Action St. Louis is an organization that builds power for Black people and marginalized communities, and we strive to build a workplace that reflects the people that we serve. We encourage people of all races and ethnicities, genders, sexual orientations, disability status, immigration status, and national origin to apply.